Primary Menu

After a presentation today to the NJSIAA Executive Committee by Assistant Director Jack DuBois today, it’s official:  Strength Index numbers will once again be “re-centered.”

When the state got rid of the Born Power Index after one controversial season, it moved to its own similar formula, the Strength Index.  But, the changes didn’t stop there.  Teams instead were seeded based on the Opponent Strength Index, an average of a team’s opponents, with full points awarded for a win, and half points given for a loss.  That average makes up 60 percent of the UPR, which determines playoff seeding.  The other 40 percent is traditional Power Points.

In order to lessen the impact of historical data which came from the Born Power Index using one season’s final numbers to start the next season, each team’s similar Strength Value was re-centered around a mid-point of 60 to start 2019 with the NJSIAA’s own Index.  Teams above that mark were reduced by one-third of the difference to 60, while teams below that mark were increased in the same way.

This year, the state will do that process again.

For example, a team with a Strength Index of 90 – which is 30 points above 60 – is reduced by 10 to a new SI of 70.  A team with a Strength Index of 39 – which is 21 points below 60 – is increased by 7 to a new SI of 46.

No team is allowed to start the year below 20, in an effort not to hurt teams forced to play them because of scheduling agreements or divisional matchups.

Below are all the final 2019 and preseason 2020 ratings for teams in the WCTC Coverage area.  For a complete list of the statewide numbers, click here and follow the red link on the next page:  2020 Strength Index Conversion.

Somerville is the highest ranked team in our coverage area, at 80.68.  The Pioneers were a South Jersey Group 3 Semifinalist.  The only other sectional finalist last season – Woodbridge, in North 1 Group 4 – has the 9th highest SI in the area at 66.99.

Out of 341 teams statewide, only three from the WCTC coverage area rank in the top 50.  Somerville is 16th, Hillsborough 40 and Ridge 50.  The highest-ranked Middlesex County team is North Brunswick, checking in at 65.

TEAMS 2019    Final SI 2020 Preseason SI
Somerville 91.02 80.68
Hillsborough 80.15 73.43
Ridge 77.94 71.96
Montgomery 75.75 70.50
North Brunswick 75.59 70.39
Piscataway 72.71 68.47
Bernards 71.14 67.43
Bridgewater 70.58 67.05
Woodbridge 70.49 66.99
St. Joseph-Metuchen 67.64 65.09
Franklin 65.74 63.83
New Brunswick 63.70 62.47
Edison 62.72 61.81
Sayreville 61.33 60.89
Colonia 61.20 60.80
Old Bridge 61.09 60.73
South Brunswick 60.78 60.52
Watchung Hills 60.53 60.35
Middlesex 55.08 56.72
Immaculata 54.30 56.20
East Brunswick 53.94 55.96
South River 50.97 53.98
North Plainfield 49.15 52.77
Carteret 48.90 52.60
Bound Brook 47.88 51.92
Monroe 46.12 50.75
South Plainfield 45.67 50.45
Perth Amboy 43.05 48.70
JFK 42.56 48.37
Manville 39.50 46.33
St. Thomas Aquinas 39.30 46.20
Dunellen 38.74 45.83
Spotswood 37.98 45.32
JP Stevens 23.90 35.93
Metuchen 18.56 32.37
Highland Park 0.61 20.41