Sponsored by Saint Peter's Healthcare System
An egg substitute and fat-free cheeses make this dish healthy and delicious.
- 4 eggplant slices, each 3/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup no-cholesterol egg substitute
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons grated fat-free Parmesan cheese
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 4 ounces fat-free mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers, cut into halves
- 4 Italian rolls or hoagie buns, toasted
- 2 cups tomato pasta sauce
Combine bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese in bowl. Dip eggplant slices in egg substitute, then coat generously with the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese.
Spray a large skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium heat until hot. Saute eggplant slices over a medium-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Spray eggplant with cooking spray and turn over; cook until tender, about 5 more minutes.
Top each eggplant slice with 1 ounce cheese; cook, covered, until cheese is melted, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Place red peppers on bottoms of rolls; top with eggplant, pasta sauce, and roll tops.
Each serving contains approximately 262 calories, 2.2 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, and 765 mg sodium.