Sponsored by Saint Peter's Healthcare System
White beans, tomatoes, vegetables, and elbow macaroni make this hearty and healthy soup a cold weather favorite.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (about 1/2-cup chopped)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 clove garlic (or 1 teaspoon garlic flakes)
- 1 tablespoon pot herbs, or substitute with a combination of thyme, parsley, and bay leaves
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth (about 2 cups)
- 1 14-1/2-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes plus 1 can of water
- 1 19-ounce can cannellini (white kidney) or other beans, no salt added
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cooked elbow macaroni
In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, garlic, and pot herbs. Cook, stirring, just until onions look slightly wilted. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, water, and beans. Bring just to a boil, then turn heat to low, and simmer about 10 minutes or until carrots are done. Add frozen peas and macaroni to hot soup and serve.
Each 1/2-cup serving contains about 250 calories, 10 g protein, 4 g fat, 41 g carbohydrates, 10 g fiber, and 404 mg sodium.