A hearty serving of polenta paired with black beans, green chiles, bell pepper, and fresh cilantro sprigs make a heart-healthy meal.
- 4 cups water
- 1½ cups cornmeal, or polenta uncooked
- 1 can (11 oz.) whole-kernel corn mixed with green and red peppers, drained
- 1 can (7 oz.) green chiles
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. margarine or butter
- 6 oz. cheddar cheese, reduced fat, shredded
- 1 can (15 oz.) rinsed black or pinto beans
- Garnish: cilantro sprigs
- 1 red bell pepper cut into rings
In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal or polenta. Reduce heat to low.
Continue stirring; add the corn, chiles, and salt. Cook 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
Gently stir in the margarine, cheese, and beans.
Remove from heat and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with red bell pepper rings and cilantro.
Makes 8 servings
Each 1-cup serving provides about 240 calories, 5 g total fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 580 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 7 g dietary fiber, 5 g sugars, 11 g protein.