Sponsored by Saint Peter's Healthcare System
Today’s Tasty Recipe serves four and each serving contains only 272 calories but 17 grams of protein from veggies, cheese and beans. This vegetarian selection found in the Saint Peter’s Better Health Library is low in cholesterol and salt because no-salt beans are among the ingredients.
Below are the list of ingredients and instructions on how to prepare.
- 1 cup frozen chopped bell pepper, thawed and drained
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion, thawed and drained
- 1 can [15 to 16 ounces] no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can [14½ ounces] no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup salsa or picante sauce
- Vegetable oil spray
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 1 cup shredded light Mexican mixed cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese
- ⅛ tsp. (heaping) crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup snipped fresh cilantro
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
In a large bowl, stir together the bell pepper, onion, beans, undrained tomatoes, and salsa.
Spray a 9-inch square pan with vegetable oil spray. Spoon 1 cup bell pepper mixture into the pan. Arrange 4 tortillas in the pan, overlapping as necessary. Spoon half the remaining sauce over the tortillas. Top with 1/2 cup cheese. Repeat.
Lightly spray a sheet of aluminum foil with vegetable oil spray. Cover the pan with foil, lightly sprayed side down to prevent the cheese from sticking.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil. Bake for five minutes more, or until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and cilantro. Cut into four squares.
Each serving contains about 272 calories, 5.5 g of fat, 10 mg cholesterol, 406 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, and 17 g protein.